The Department of Education’s thrust to prepare schools for the coming school year materializes in Tayuman National High School as a number of parents, barangay officials, concerned citizens, students, and teachers worked hand in hand last May 27 – the very first day of the Brigada Eskwela 2013.
Armed with bolos, rakes, bare hands, the community easily cleared the school campus of tall-grown grasses and unsafe debris making the school ready a week before the start of classes.
Brigada Eskwela, also known as the Bayanihan Para Sa Paaralan, is a nationwide voluntary effort of teachers, parents, students, community members, and other organizations to do minor repairs and clean-ups on their schools in preparation for the start of the school year.
This week-long event began in 2003 as part of the Oplan Balik Eskwela Program and National Maintenance Week of the Department of Education (DepEd). It encourages volunteers give out their time, effort, and even donate materials such as paint, cement, lumber and other materials, which could be used for minor repairs and building. Donations from local corporations and businesses are given in kind.
Minor repairs are usually done before the opening of classes. Maintenance work such as the repainting of the roof and exterior walls, repair of leaking water pipes, ceiling boards, broken furniture and windows, cleaning of toilets, and gardening are done by volunteers with the help of donations in kind from non-government organizations and corporations.
As early as February, school heads recruit volunteers who would participate in the brigade, by March, they would approach local businesses for donations, then organize work groups by April. It is usually held two weeks prior to every year’s opening of classes.
With regards to the national call for school readiness on the said dates, every member of the community is encouraged to partake in the Bayanihan sa Paaralan to ensure that the institution is ready to accommodate the students in this school year.
Interested individuals may bring cleaning materials and may even send/donate cash or materials for sustaining the repair and maintenance of Tayuman National High School.
So, what are we waiting for? Come and join and be a “bayani” of our institution!
Tayuman National High School finally launches its own institutional website that helps the community, alumni, stakeholders, teachers, students, and individuals keep in touch with Tayuman National High School and be updated with the latest news and developments of the institution.
TNHS Chronicles envoys with the following pages and boards:
1. HOME where latest news and updates are posted;
2. SCHOOL PROFILE where HISTORY, SCHOOL INFORMATION SYSTEM, SCHOOL POLICIES, PERFORMANCE INDICATORS, FACULTY, AND SCHOOL PROJECTS are presented;
3. STUDENTS AFFAIRS where articles about Supreme Student Government and students’ corner are available for viewing;
4. COMMUNITY BOARD where PTA Officers, Projects, and Alumni Corner are given due space for reading;
5. CALENDAR OF ACTIVITIES where upcoming events and affairs are scheduled;
6. NOTICES where the school Principal has his words and memorandums from his desk;
7. MEDIA LIBRARY where photos and videos of activities and developments of the students and the school are visible;
8. COMMENTS where everybody can have their say; and
9. CONTACT US menu where everyone is free to have interaction with the teachers and administrator
Also, the website is equipped with invitations and information on different activities for everybody’s perusal.